According to Buckingham palace, the official reason the 95-year-old monarch cancelled her visit to Northern Ireland was due to health concerns with the monarch spending a night at a hospital. On Thursday night, Buckingham Palace released a statement stating the Queen had been hospitalised for tests.
The statement read: “Following medical advice to rest for a few days, the Queen attended hospital on Wednesday afternoon for some preliminary investigations, returning to Windsor Castle at lunchtime today, and remains in good spirits.”
However, sources have now claimed that the monarch’s health was a “smokescreen” due to the Northern Ireland centenary event dubbed a “political hot potato”.
These claims come after Irish President Michael D. Higgins and politicians from Northern Ireland’s Sinn Fein party reportedly turned down invites.
Dickie Arbiter, Queen’s ex-Press Secretary and royal author, has debated if it was appropriate for the Queen to attend the event.
READ MORE: William and Kate tipped to attend star-studded Royal Variety Show
One former minister questioned whether the cancellation has to do with security issues.
“I wonder whether it’s security being extra cautious,” they told MailOnline.
“But in Her Majesty’s case, it is a bit of a trek…
“Security is possible, however Her Majesty is quite elderly.”
“It is bad timing. The people hadn’t worked out that COP is round the corner.
“It is gruelling. It is gruelling even for the healthy because these commitments are quite demanding.
“Her people might have said you need to be fresh and robust for the COP summit.”