Express.co.uk polled readers after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's controversial TV interview failed to pick up a gong at the Emmys on Sunday. Thi
Express.co.uk polled readers after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s controversial TV interview failed to pick up a gong at the Emmys on Sunday. This website asked if the bombshell sit-down chat should have won an award.
A huge 99 percent of respondents (7,057 votes) said no, while just one percent (58 votes) replied yes. Some 13 people said they did not know.
Commenting on this website, one reader with the username Positivity said: “The fact it was nominated in the first place is an affront to the RF and the British public.”
Another reader with the username Pineapple2567 wrote: “Definitely not!”
A third user, Trogg, added: “Win a Emmy – No – put in the Tower of London more like it!”
Another, Bonsai57, insisted: “It was rubbish and did not even deserve a nomination.”
A fifth, CharleneArik, blasted: “They shouldn’t have even been nominated!”
Harry and Meghan’s tell-all interview, which aired in March, was nominated for outstanding hosted nonfiction series or special at the Emmys, which recognise excellence in US TV.
It was up against My Next Guest Needs No Introduction With David Letterman, Stanley Tucci: Searching For Italy, United Shades Of America With W Kamau Bell and documentary series Vice for the Emmy.
READ MORE: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry return TODAY with New York visit
Host Cedric the Entertainer poked fun at the Sussexes – who quit royal duties last year for a new life in California – during the ceremony.
He told the star-studded audience: “As great as The Crown is, it pales in comparison to the real monarchy…
“Ooooh I mean that Oprah interview with Prince Harry and Meghan. That was the real tea right there, wasn’t it!?”
“Meghan must put it on that boy because he renounced his throne quicker than Eddie Murphy in Coming to America.”
Harry and Meghan, who quit royal duties last year for a new life in California, made a series of explosive claims about the Royal Family in their TV interview.
But the royals made clear they did not agree with all of the Sussexes’ version of events, saying that “some recollections may vary”.
Express.co.uk polled 7,128 people on September 22.