I’m A Celebrity on ‘high alert’ after intruder breaks into Gwrych Castle grounds


Friday night’s episode of the ITV reality series was also struck by complications caused by weather warnings following the arrival of Storm Arwen. However, this wasn’t the only problem to hit the series this week as a security breach sent I’m A Celebrity bosses into a panic when an unarmed intruder gave the Gwrych Castle guards a slip.

The individual is believed to have managed to get within touching distance of the castle walls before being escorted off the premises.

Their intrusion could have forced this year’s show to be taken off air as it would have breached the castle’s COVID bubble.

Thankfully, the guards are said to have managed to locate the individual and escort them off the premises before they could get any further.

I’m A Celeb’s breach came shortly after contestant Richard Madeley quit the series due to an emergency hospital run breaking the show’s bio-secure bubble.

READ MORE: Tilly Ramsay set to face third dance-off and Strictly exit

The series’ producers were reportedly extra vigilant after the breach, but thankfully the unexpected guest was quickly tracked down thanks to their advanced security systems.

However, this wasn’t the first time I’m A Celeb’s 21st series was forced to prevent an unwanted entry.

An ITV source told The Sun: “The intruder in question has tried to break in earlier in the run but did not manage it.”

They went on to explain the potential risks of a security breach, but the series’ efficient security team ensured the situation was handled quickly.

Plus, the site is surrounded by several layers of high fencing, patrolling guards and checkpoints where ID must be shown to gain entry.

However, the intruder somehow gave the guards a slip and came close to rubbing elbows with this year’s famous contenders.

The ITV source continued: “He was not far from getting into the actual castle itself, where the celebrities are.

“I’ve no idea what would have happened if that had been the case as it could have been a breach of the COVID bubble and could have put the whole show at risk. It’s a real headache for the security and crew.”

“They hope it’s the last of this sort of incident and everyone can focus on the show.”

And an ITV spokesperson told the Express: “A security breach was identified and an intruder was removed from the location with immediate effect.

“The safety of both our celebrities and our production crew remains our primary concern.”

The current series still has just over two weeks to go, so hopefully the remaining contestants can spend their remaining days in Gwrych Castle without any more hiccups.

I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! continues tonight at 9pm on ITV.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.