Manchester United don’t have Jadon Sancho as a priority summer transfer target, according to reports. Borussia Dortmund have claimed they’re willing to listen to suitable offers for the forward. But a move to Old Trafford doesn’t appear likely.
Speaking on Monday, Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke claimed the club were willing to listen to offers for Sancho – as long as they’re exceptional.
He said: “I’m not getting involved in probabilities, it’s no good.
“Jadon Sancho has been with us much longer than Erling Haaland. We’ll have to speak to Jadon too. If there is an exceptional offer, we will discuss it with the player and the agent, as always.
“Nonetheless, I am very sure that the transfer market will only run to a very limited extent this summer.
“Especially at the very big clubs, you can see what kind of wounds coronavirus has inflicted – and they are not small ones that heal within two weeks.”
And, now, the Manchester Evening News have opened up on United’s reaction to those words.
THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz
It’s claimed they ‘clammed up’ upon hearing the news – but don’t intend to go back in for the England international at the end of the campaign.
He’s simply not a priority, especially given how the club signed Facundo Pellistri and Amad during the summer transfer window as alternatives.
Instead, United would prefer to sign his Dortmund team-mate Erling Haaland.
Some publications have suggested interest in the 20-year-old has cooled, especially with the likes of Manchester City, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Chelsea also being keen.
But it’s said United duo John Murtough and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer agree he’d be the perfect replacement for Romelu Lukaku, who joined Inter Milan nearly two years ago.
Alex Telles ‘to be used in Man Utd swap deal’
Chelsea may have signed perfect Haaland partner
Lionel Messi’s Barcelona anger explained
Regarding outgoings, Paul Pogba and David De Gea could leave.
Juventus are keen on re-signing Pogba, five years after he left the Allianz Stadium for Old Trafford, while De Gea has fallen down the pecking order.
Meanwhile, speaking recently, Ian Wright urged United to still try and sign Sancho – despite their interest in Haaland.
“I’d still try and get Sancho as well to go with him,” Wright said.
“I envisage that if you can have a Man United side that had Pogba, Fernandes, Haaland and Sancho… you know what I mean?
“Then you start to feel that somewhere along the line you’re going to get some creativity there.
“My problem with Man United when I watch them is that they don’t keep the ball well enough in that last third where the creativity is needed to open a West Ham up, move defenders around, a link man like the forward who can hold it, keep it there on the edge of the box, play it around to someone like Fernandes who can slip it into little spaces.
“Then all of a sudden you can counter attack or you can play through them. That’s what they need, any of those two.
“I don’t think Sancho is something that they should just give up on because he’s creative as well, he goes past people.”
Solskjaer has previously warned fans not to expect a busy summer transfer window while the coronavirus crisis rumbles on.
“[The pandemic] is definitely affecting everyone in football. Of course the lack of income, the finances have affected everyone,” he said.
“We have to be realistic and responsible in the way we do our business both on and off the pitch. There are improvements on the training ground, stadium – we have to look at the whole picture.
“Where can we spend the money? And how much is there? It’s just the real world now. It has changed.”
Solskjaer added: “You can look at it different ways [with a] rebuild. We also have players in the academy that we now can maybe give opportunities.
“All clubs in the world are going through the same situation so it’s no different for other clubs than for us. I think there’s just going to be less and less transfers happening in the world of football with all these changes.”