‘Of course!’ Prince Charles willing to help police investigate billionaire donor’s honour


Prince Charles, 73, may be a key witness in the case investigating his former aide Michael Fawcett. However, the future monarch insists he had no knowledge Mr Fawcett promised to help secure an honorary CBE and British citizenship for Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz, who also denies any wrongdoing.

In 2016, Mr Mahfouz was given a CBE by Charles in a private ceremony at Buckingham Palace, the Sunday Times revealed.

The royal’s right hand man resigned as the chief executive of the Prince’s Foundation following the allegations.

A Clarence House spokesman said Charles would “of course” assist detectives if requested, the Times has reported.

Officers have also “liaised with the Prince’s Foundation regarding the findings of its independent investigation”, the Metropolitan Police confirmed.

READ MORE: William speaks of anxiety-filled times with Harry in candid interview

“As we move through this difficult chapter, I hope that the stories of note will begin to focus once more on the beneficial outcomes delivered by the Prince’s Foundation, and we look forward with optimism to continuing to deliver our charitable activities.”

Clarence House has previously stated Charles had “no knowledge” of the honours scandal.

Clarence House said: “It is important to His Royal Highness that the charities which bear his name operate to the highest standards, in accordance with rules established by charity regulators.

“We are taking this opportunity to reinforce guidance to these charities, particularly in respect of their relationships with supporters.”

Last week the Prince’s charity revealed an investigation had uncovered evidence of “communication and co-ordination” between Mr Fawcett and Mr Mahfouz’s advisers about the honour, the Times claimed.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.