Palace 'never intended' on telling public about Queen hospital stay – BBC royal reporter


BBC royal correspondent Jonny Dymond told Nick Robinson that Buckingham Palace never planned on telling the public about the Queen’s hospital stay. News broke last night that the Queen spent Wednesday night in hospital for preliminary medical checks. However, Mr Dymond suggested that the Palace were “forced into admitting it” after The Sun reported on the stay late last night.

Today programme host Nick Robinson said: “It was only after The Sun’s front page was published revealing that the Queen had spent a night in the hospital that the Palace confirmed Her Majesty had been admitted on Wednesday for preliminary investigations.

“One of the downsides of being the monarch is that the state of your health is a source of constant public attention.

“Do you think whether the Palace ever intended to tell us this?”

Mr Dymond responded: “I suspect the Palace did not, to be entirely honest.”

JUST IN: BBC’s Nicholas Witchell hits out at Queen’s health statement

He explained: “They jumped into it because of the impressive journalism from The Sun newspaper.

“There is a line between the privacy individuals can expect as to their medical status, and the expectations the country has of being informed about the health of the head of state, and someone who is held in such high regard by so many in this country.

“There will be a debate about whether the Palace got this right or wrong.

“But, I think it’s pretty surprising that they were forced into admitting it.

The 95-year-old monarch returned from King Edward VII’s Hospital in Marylebone at lunchtime on Thursday and is “in good spirits,” according to the Palace.

In a statement on Thursday night, Buckingham Palace said: “Following medical advice to rest for a few days, the Queen attended hospital on Wednesday afternoon for some preliminary investigations, returning to Windsor Castle at lunchtime today, and remains in good spirits.”

An official record of the Queen’s diary showed at least 16 formal events during October, and there had been plans for her to embark on the two-day trip to Northern Ireland this week.

However, she earlier cancelled a visit to Northern Ireland on Wednesday.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.