Princess Charlene’s heartbreaking reason for seeking treatment outside Monaco


Princess Charlene of Monaco shares ‘gratitude’ for fundraisers

The royal has spent little time at her home this year. A combination of the coronavirus pandemic and a mystery illness meant that she was forced to remain in her native South Africa for an extended period of time. Months passed without her being able to see her two children, six-year-old twins Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques.

She was also unable to see her husband and sadly missed their tenth wedding anniversary.

It is unclear what illness Charlene is suffering from.

Little in the way of information has left the Palais princier de Monaco.

However, in a recent interview with PEOPLE magazine, Albert explained that a family-style intervention took place with Charlene over her health following his trip to Dubai earlier this month.

He explained that, for privacy reasons, she had been moved outside Monaco to have her illness treated.

He said: “I sat her down with her brothers and a sister-in-law.

Princess Charlene: The royal has left to seek medical treatment outside Monaco

Princess Charlene: The royal has left to seek medical treatment outside Monaco (Image: GETTY)

Prince Albert: The Monegasque prince has spoken out about Charlene's ill health

Prince Albert: The Monegasque prince has spoken out about Charlene’s ill health (Image: GETTY)

“She had already made her decision, and we only wanted her to confirm it in front of us. She wanted this.

“She already knew the best thing to do was to go and have a rest and have a real medically framed treatment. And not in Monaco.

“For privacy reasons, it would have to be someplace outside of Monaco.”

He added: “Obviously there were consequences of her different surgeries and the procedures she underwent in the last few months.

“That certainly was a factor, but at this point I prefer not to comment further. I can say she was suffering incredible fatigue.

“She hadn’t slept well in a number of days and she wasn’t eating at all well.

JUST IN: Princess Eugenie’s christening was attended by a special guest

Monaco: Before the pandemic the pair were regulalry seen attending glamorous balls and fundraisers

Monaco: Before the pandemic the pair were regulalry seen attending glamorous balls and fundraisers (Image: GETTY)

“She has lost a lot of weight, which made her vulnerable to other potential ailments.

“A cold or the flu or, God help us, COVID.”

Albert looked to dispel speculation that has since surrounded Charlene’s health, and told the magazine: “Because I know there are rumours out there, let me say: This is not COVID.

“And it’s not cancer-related.

“It’s not a personal relationship issue.

“And if you want to discuss another speculation, it isn’t related to plastic surgery or facial work at all.”

DON’T MISS

Cheeky Princess Charlotte is the boss of George, says Kate [REPORT] 
Sussexes hit by ‘devastating’ backlash in France [INSIGHT]
Royal Family: Harry and Meghan to push Firm ‘to breaking point’ 
[ANALYSIS] 

Royal wedding: The pair married in a grand and lavish wedding in 2011

Royal wedding: The pair married in a grand and lavish wedding in 2011 (Image: GETTY)

Olympian: Charlene is by profession an Olympic swimmer

Olympian: Charlene is by profession an Olympic swimmer (Image: GETTY)

Albert has confirmed that Charlene is dealing with “exhaustion, both emotional and physical”.

She is believed to have collapsed on September 1 due to complications following one of several surgeries for a severe and ongoing ear, nose and throat (ENT) infection.

Charlene was immediately rushed to Netcare Alberlito Hospital following the incident.

At the time, the Palace released the following statement to People: “On the night of September 1, Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene of Monaco was taken to hospital after becoming ill due to complications from a serious ENT infection.

Europe's future monarchs: Prince Jacques will one day take Albert's title as Monaco's crown prince

Europe’s future monarchs: Prince Jacques will one day take Albert’s title as Monaco’s crown prince (Image: Express Newspapers)

“Her Highness is being closely followed by her medical team, who say her condition is reassuring.”

According to reports, Charlene was due for another surgery that day but it was instead pushed back.

Hello! magazine reported that she went in for surgery in mid-May, before a second operation in June, and a “final” surgery in October.

In late October, Albert confirmed to the French publication Point de Vue that Charlene would soon be returning home.

Royal romance: The pair pictured in public for the first time at the 2006 Turin Winter Olympics

Royal romance: The pair pictured in public for the first time at the 2006 Turin Winter Olympics (Image: GETTY)

He said: “She is much better.

“This last operation which concerned the nasal septum went very well. We will be able to consider her return very soon.

“And I can tell you that she will be in Monaco long before the national holiday.”

Unfortunately, things have taken another turn since then.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.