Meghan Markle and Prince Harry signed a £112million deal with Netflix following their departure from the Royal Family, but are yet to produce any content for the streaming service. The couple’s deal with the streaming giant promised documentaries, children’s programmes, scripted shows and feature films.
Netflix announced on Monday that it had cancelled the development of Pearl, Meghan’s animated series.
Archewell Productions, formed by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in 2020, announced last year that Meghan would be an executive producer of Pearl.
The series was due to centre on the adventures of a 12-year-old girl inspired by influential women from history.
The news comes as Netflix reported a loss of 200,000 users in the first three months of 2022 with predictions forecasting a loss of two million subscribers in the three months.
Royal correspondent Natalie Oliveri told Today Extra: “It is a shame. Harry and Meghan signed with Netflix after leaving the Royal Family, leaving their positions as senior working royals in the Royal Family.
“They haven’t really done much with Netflix since signing that multi-million dollar deal.
“They are still getting paid. They haven’t produced anything as yet.
“They were filming a docu-series for Netflix, Heart of Invictus and that’s due to premiere later this year or earlier next year. That will really be their first project.”
The streaming giant said Archewell Productions remains a valued partner and they are continuing to work together on a number of projects.
The couple were seen filming for Heart Of Invictus at the event in The Hague last month.
The series will focus on athletes competing in the Invictus Games for injured veterans and serving military personnel, an event founded by Harry in 2014.
So what do YOU think? Should Netflix cancel their deal with Meghan and Harry? Vote in our poll and leave your thoughts in the comment section below.