Mr Couzens, 48, carried out his duties at least five times at the Houses of Parliament prior to the murder of Sarah Everard. Despite being nicknamed ‘The Rapist’, Mr Couzens was still deployed to carry out his duties in the Commons.
Furthermore, it has been revealed that Mr Couzens was also given ‘access-all-areas’ passes within the Commons, as one senior parliamentary source had told The Times.
Four months prior to his arrest, Mr Couzens is reported to have been paid up to £10,000 from the Met Police.
Mr Couzens had not been sacked by the force until mid-July – at which point he had pleaded guilty.
The Met had taken the decision to refuse to speak about his role at the Commons, only describing it as a “primary role was to patrol diplomatic premises, mainly embassies”.
Following inquiries raised by Commons speaker Lindsay Hoyle, a spokeswoman for the Met said: “Couzens was deployed to armed static protection duties on the Parliamentary Estate on five occasions from February to July 2020.”.
Mr Hoyle expressed his worries about this revelation, saying he was ‘extremely concerned and would be speaking to under-fire Met chief Dame Cressida Dick.
He said: “I have asked the Met to meet me urgently to discuss how this person could have been deemed suitable for deployment here.
“Further, I will be seeking reassurance that at no time was anyone on the parliamentary estate put at risk.”
READ MORE: Johnson warns not to rely on foreign drivers
One government source has revealed that the Home Office calculated his salary could have been £33,000 withheld until his arrest and charging.
It was revealed that Mr Couzens had been named as a suspect in relation to a sex offence which occurred 72 hours before the murder of Sarah Everard.
Wayne Couzens had been captured on CCTV in an alleged flashing incident at a drive-thru at a McDonalds, with Mr Couzens being named as the suspect.
Despite this, it was not realised that Mr Couzens was a serving police officer and it was after Miss Everard’s disappearance on March 3 that enquiries into this sex offence had been made.
Lord Stevens, who served as Met Commissioner between 2000 and 2005, said: “You have to look at yourself and say can I continue? Can I continue with confidence?
“Can I continue in way that brings around the change that’s necessary to make the public feel safe – and in this particular instance, women safe.
“And further, have we got people in the police service who should not be there?”