The annual event in London usually attended by up to 100,000 and broadcast to many millions throughout the world. Last year's display was cancelled
The annual event in London usually attended by up to 100,000 and broadcast to many millions throughout the world. Last year’s display was cancelled as the UK continued to battle against the raging coronavirus crisis, which had seen rules relaxed briefly over Christmas to enable more loved ones to come together over the festive period. Sadiq Khan and City Hall have again put a stop to the event on December 31 due to “uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic”.
A spokesman for Mr Khan promised the capital’s new year celebrations will still be “spectacular”.
But the cancellation has sparked a furious backlash on Twitter, with many directing their fury at the Mayor of London.
Many highlighted the high Covid vaccination rate while questioning how people can still attend large public events and not be able to enjoy the fireworks
Former MEP and deputy leader of the Reclaim Party Martin Daubney fumed: “Utterly absurd.
“Sadiq Khan has cancelled London’s New Year’s Eve fireworks again, due to ‘uncertainties caused by COVID’ – even though London buses & Tubes are packed, the London Marathon went ahead, football grounds are open.”
GB News presenter Dan Wootton raged: “Do you get the sense that some folk like the failed Mayor of London Sadiq Khan never want life to return to normal?
“There is no uncertainty. We are 80 per cent vaccinated. Life must return to normal.”
TalkRADIO contributor Mahyar Tousi wrote: “Freedom Day was three months ago. Health agencies have confirmed the ‘pandemic’ level of Covid is over.
READ MORE: Topless XR protestor goes on HUNGER STRIKE
“Just another ‘look at me I’m great aren’t I’ statement!
“Don’t worry though, if you want a mass gathering without having to worry, just pop off to Wembley for a good game of footie.”
Twitter user CentristJim1 added: “It is absolutely ridiculous that I can fly to another country to watch NYE fireworks but I can’t watch them in London.
“How is that possible?!”
A spokesman for Mr Khan tried to play down the cancellation of the fireworks display on New Year’s Eve.
He said: “This year, as always, London will be welcoming the new year in a spectacular way.
“Due to the uncertainty caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, our world-famous New Year’s Eve display will not be held on the banks of the Thames this year.”
In 2020, the display was moved to another area of the capital, and involved the innovative use of drones.
But the BBC received some 500 complaints after the drones formed into a clenched fist – a symbol used by the Black Lives Matter movement – that was an extremely emotional topic at the time.
City Hall is yet to say how London will be welcoming 2022.
The spokesman said: “Last year’s successful show took place in a slightly different way due to the pandemic, and this year a number of exciting new options are being considered as part of our New Year’s Eve celebrations in London.
“Further details of this year’s celebration will be announced in due course.”