Wayne Couzens verdict IN FULL: Sarah Everard killer handed sentence

Sarah Everard’s killer Wayne Couzen’s is being sentenced. The former Met Police Officer appeared in court for his sentencing today. Couzens, 48, used his Metropolitan Police-issue warrant card and handcuffs to snatch Miss Everard, 33, as she walked home from a friend’s house in south London on the evening of March 3, the Old Bailey heard.

Couzens drove with Ms Everard to a secluded rural area in Kent where he raped and subsequently killed her.

The former armed diplomatic protection officer had formulated his plan to abduct and murder three days before he kidnapped Ms Everard at the side of the road.

He drove in a repeated pattern through London in the hour or so before he found Ms Everard.

Couzens appeared in the dock at the Old Bailey in London wearing a blue suit and a black face mask.

Lord Justice Fulford has talked about the “wholly brutal” killing of Sarah Everard. 

He said: “Many details as to her demise along with abundant observation as to what it symbolises has been reported by commentators.

“And no doubt following sentence I am about to pass more will be written.”

The judge said: “The sentence that I pass on the defendant must be just”, in accordance with law. 

He added: “To discharge my function that I focus solely on the factors that are properly relevant to determining the correct sentence and nothing else.” 

The judge said that Ms Everard must be remembered during the sentencing, and that the 33-year-old was a “wholly blameless victim of a grotesquely executed” crime.

Lord Justice Fulford was sure to point out the fact “she was simply walking home”.

He said that Couzens “used his position of a police officer to coerce her on a wholly false pretence to a car” and this was done on the false pretence “that she had breached the restrictions on movement being enforced during that stage of the pandemic.”

Lord Justice Fulford said Couzens had “spent a month driving to London working out how best to commit his crime”. 

He said Couzens hired a car on February 28 which he drove to London to commit his crime and “found a place in Dover where there were no houses…and less chance of witnesses”. 

He continued: “All that was missing was his victim” when he was driving around London.

“He stopped and handcuffed her on the roadside and he used his position as his police officer to enable this to happen. 

“Her state of mind and what she had to endure over those 80 miles are as bleak as agonising as it is possible to imagine.

“Ultimately, she was raped and strangled to death.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.